RACE ENTRY AGREEMENT
In consideration of acceptance of my entry by Santa Barbara Yacht Club (“SBYC”) the undersigned acknowledge and agree as follows:
1. The undersigned acknowledge that there are risks inherent in the sport of yacht racing. The undersigned freely assume any and all risks including personal injury or death, and loss or property damage of all types, including unforeseen risks and including, without limitation, the failure or breakage of the vessel described above or of any equipment thereon, arising from inclement weather, adverse sea conditions or otherwise. To the fullest extent allowed by law, the undersigned hereby waive all claims and causes of action, and discharge and release the Santa Barbara Yacht Club, its officers, directors, representatives, agents, employees, members, volunteers and guests, for any and all claims, demands, actions, right of action, of whatsoever kind or nature, either in law or in equity arising from or by reason of any bodily injury or personal injuries know or unknown, death or property damage, resulting from my participation in the regatta, whether by negligence or not.
2. As a condition to participating in SBYC racing events, each boat owner:
Accepts full responsibility for the suitability of his/her vessel for each event entered, taking into consideration the distance, worse case sea conditions, the design and sea worthiness of the vessel for those conditions and to maintain his/her vessel in a commensurate manner.
Accepts full responsibility for providing all safety equipment required by the United States Coast Guard together with such additional safety equipment that the Coast Guard deems advisable from time to time for the conditions reasonably expected to occur during the race.
Confirms that the boat owner is and will remain knowledgeable with respect to safety equipment and rescue procedures by familiarizing himself/herself with the recommendations of national (US Sailing) and / or international racing authorities (ISAF), including the US Sailing Safety Equipment Requirements as stated in http://www.ussailing.org/safety/equipment-and-requirements.
Agrees to attend local educational safety seminars, as the same are presented from time to time, to insure the highest level of knowledge concerning safe racing.
Acknowledges that, prior to any race, the decision to race or not race is the sole responsibility of the boat owner or the owner’s designee and that at all times during a race, the decision to continue or to retire based on unexpected conditions or equipment failure it is the responsibility of the boat owner or his/her designee.
Agrees to advise crew members of their responsibility to decide for themselves whether to race or not based on their own level of sailing and racing competence.
3. The undersigned certify that the vessel described above is insured so as to provide reasonable and adequate personal injury and property damage coverage for injury to persons and property as a result of the actions of the undersigned and/or the actions of any crew member and/or guest while racing or while engaging in activities relating to or connected with racing. The undersigned further certify that either (1) the named insured under the policy providing such insurance will be aboard the vessel at all times while racing or while engaging in activities relating to or connected with racing or that (2) a skipper duly authorized by the named insured shall be aboard and responsible for the vessel at all times while racing or while engaging in activities relating to or connected with racing and that such personal injury and property damage coverage is and will remain in effect irrespective of the presence or absence of the named insured on said vessel.
4. The undersigned agree to abide and be bound by the Racing Rules of Sailing, the Prescriptions of the U. S. Sailing Association, the COLREGS/Inland Rules, as applicable, and the Rules of the Santa Barbara Yacht Club, in force from time to time.
5. The undersigned owner declares that adequate property damage and liability insurance is provided by the carrier and policy stated above. The undersigned further agrees to notify SBYC of any changes to said policy of insurance that occur during the applicable series.6. The undersigned acknowledge and agree that the terms of this instrument are intended to be as broad and inclusive as permitted by the laws of the State of California and the US Sailing Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS). If any portion of this instrument is held invalid, the remaining portions shall continue in full legal force and effect.