Apr 22, 2020 11:35 EST
The regatta management team and hosts for 2020 Laser National Championships / US Singlehanded Sailing National Championships have found it necessary to postpone the regatta due to the COVID-19 outbreak. The Championships, originally scheduled for June 12-14, 2020 and hosted by Big Blue Sailing Academy at Old Dominion University and Norfolk Yacht and Country Club in Norfolk, VA, have been postponed until June 18-20, 2021. The 2021 event will continue to serve as both the 2021 ILCA US National Championship for Laser Standard, Radial and 4.7 classes and the 2021 US Singlehanded Sailing National Championship for the O’Day, Hanley, and Barrett Trophies.
For more information contact Mitch Brindley 757-287-1201 ...
Apr 14, 2020 13:42 EST
Obviously, everyone is in a tough situation as we deal with this pandemic from health concerns, government stay-at-home orders, to the immediate or impending financial impacts. Currently, we are proceeding with caution and a little hesitation regarding our regatta planning. We are trying to be wise in committing to expenses and plans in the event cancellation becomes necessary. We already have some operational expenses. We recognize that much of what we do going forward for this regatta will be based on decisions and guidance of other entities. At some point in the coming weeks, it may become impractical to continue with the currently scheduled regatta. The Governor of Virginia has issued a stay-at-home order until June 10. And Old Dominion has canceled all on-campus summer school classes. Clearly this presents some problems for us in terms of planning, venue set-up, and activation. However, we feel we can activate our plans with little lead time. As of now, we have not been told by Old Dominion University that we cannot host. We are looking at options that might be more agreeable to University Risk Managers and other officials, such as no competitor's meeting or event dinner. Additionally, we are considering operating with fewer event officials and race committee as many are of a higher risk group. I think we can wait until the first week of May to decide. But we might decide tomorrow that this is crazy to continue hoping to run this.
Some of the criteria we that will lead to a cancelation or postponement:
• Virginia stay-at-home order is extended, or there are other regional local stay-at-home orders
• National or regional travel bans or restrictions
• The health and safety of competitors and volunteers is at risk
• The impact on the laser community is such that participation is greatly reduced and the event is not representative of an ILCA, and US National Sailing Championship.
• The Norfolk Yacht and Country Club Board of Directors indicates they are no longer willing to serve as a venue for coach boats.
• Old Dominion University further restricts such events on campus.
If we must cancel, our first choice will be to reschedule for later this year. Rescheduling for this year presents challenges for both venues, race committee, and competitors. Our current race committee is not available for the remainder of the summer, and the venue at Old Dominion isn't available in September and most of October. If a suitable date cannot be found, then we will ask the class office if we can reschedule for 2021.
Nov 19, 2019 15:00
Event site launched on Regatta Network ...